A wedding licence shows anyone doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from a registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a document that is 2-part. The top component is a Registration of Marriage therefore the bottom level may be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) should be fond of the marriage officiant that’ll be doing your wedding. This might be a appropriate document and must certanly be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or announcements in a church) aren’t appropriate rather than a wedding licence.
There aren’t any citizenship or residency demands.
There’s absolutely no time frame that have to pass involving the date a couple comes in Alberta plus the date a wedding licence is granted.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for a couple of months through the date it really is given.
A marriage might take position the same time a wedding licence is released. There is absolutely no time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take place in Alberta.
If you should be presently hitched, you simply can’t apply for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together in the registry representative office
- Some exceptions may use, talk to a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm a false affidavit
- Offer your information that is personal the total names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you can’t:
- Be intoxicated by a drug or liquor
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched is an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both must certanly be 18 yrs old or older.
If you should be more youthful than 18 years old, you are able to submit an application for a wedding licence if your entire moms and dads and appropriate guardians permission towards the marriage licence being released, unless other conditions use. Seek the advice of a registry representative for complete details.
If you should be younger than 16 years of age, you simply cannot marry in Alberta.
If an individual for the few would not have appropriate ID, that person might provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or another person).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings is required; the breakup document supplied should be the last document (as an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a wedding is dissolved in X length of time just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to learn in the event that documents that are final filed or the divorce proceedings ended up being contested throughout that time.
- Breakup documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated; talk to a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification of this spouse that is deceased not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment is given through a court, the individuals marital status reverts returning to what it had been before that annulled marriage took spot. The last status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- Once the marital status before the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings needs to be supplied as well as a duplicate associated with the court ordered annulment
- Whenever previous status that is marital never ever been hitched, only the court ordered annulment document is required
Whenever a marriage had been annulled, a duplicate for the court ordered annulment should be supplied. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are perhaps perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English should be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation needs.
When getting a married relationship licence, each associated with the individuals who’ll be getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are increasingly being signed), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter is necessary, it’s your duty to deliver one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 years old or older
- Proficient both in English plus the language needing interpretation
If the registry agent worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative employee might function as the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few obtaining a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There is certainly a $40 federal federal government cost for the marriage licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider fees differ among registry agents.
Simple tips to use
Step one. Make certain you meet the criteria to use for a wedding licence
The wedding needs to be happening in Alberta over the following three months.
Before using, make certain you as well as your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Bring your appropriate ID to you to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example divorce or separation papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify just just exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
Once you use
A wedding licence is given as you wait.
Should you not have got all of the given information and papers required, the method would be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected instantly.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes could be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes needs to be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information which was provided once the marriage licence ended up being released.
Interact with Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory vacations) Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 your brides website (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5